Friday, December 16, 2016

Episode 75: Update on Harvoni Treatment for Hep C

Well, sports fans, it's now been a month and a half since I started Harvoni to treat the Hepatitis C I contracted during a blood transfusion in the 1980s.

So far, side effects have been few, though I did have one mortifying experience with uncontrolled diarrhea in a public place. Nothing is worse than walking through a fast food restaurant trying to get to the bathroom before a major "accident" and not making it in time. But that wasn't the first time that has happened. My theory is the medicine kicked my liver issues into high gear while the virus tried to fight off its attacker, and that was the lovely result.

The diarrhea has calmed down a lot since those first couple of weeks on the stuff, I'm happy to say. I hope that's the LAST time I ever have to deal with that problem in public!

Now I have a new issue--my fingernails have turned brittle and have begun cracking and splitting. Ouch! My fingertips hurt as I type. I'm keeping them cut short, but they still split painfully. Ugh. I also worry that my hair, already thin, is getting thinner. But I suppose far worse things could be going on, and I'll be happy if this virus is killed off.

I've been reading forums online, which is a dangerous thing to do. I learned that long ago when contemplating going on Effexor for my anxiety. If I'd believed everything I read, I never would have gone on a drug that transformed my life from one of debilitating anxiety to relative self-confidence and a clearer perspective. I'm not saying it's a perfect drug, but I'm grateful for it.
And the same will probably be true for Harvoni.

The scariest thing so far about the forums is that a lot of people claim to have side effects long after stopping the drug. Now, supposedly, the Harvoni is out of the system two days after finishing it. So it seems weird that folks would be having side effects when it's no longer in the system. But we do hear about long-term effects of radiation and other treatments that happen long after the treatments have stopped. We see the ads from lawyers about such effects. I really hope nothing like that will pop up for former Harvoni users. I hope I didn't just trade one death sentence for another. On the other hand, we all live under a death sentence. It was worth the risk. I think.

I'll check in again if I notice anything else as I go through treatment. I'm halfway through and keeping my (painful) fingers crossed that I'll be one of the 95-percent-plus patients who are cured of this nasty virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment